Thursday, August 26, 2010

Polish Armed Forces Day (15AUG10)

Chaplain Kapron invited me to prayevangelium (Gospel reading) and read the at the 1000 Polish Mass (check out my facebook page for pictures!) It was a neat experience, though I felt a little out of place sitting in front of a large crowd of Polish soldiers celebrating a Catholic Mass that I couldn't understand. I had to watch Raphao to know when to stand, kneel, and sit. I had some authentic Polish food at lunch: real Polish sausage, a type of lentil soup, and something they called szmelytz. This is basically chipped pork under a layer of fat that you spread on toast with dill pickle spears. But for the layer of fat, it wasn't too bad!

2 comments:

nancy said...

That is the type of food I grew up on since dad was Ukrainian.

nancy said...

Great to hear how all is going over there and to hear positive things instead of what we hear on the news.
Your mom and I will be chatting this Friday like we always do.
Your Aunt Evelyn really liked the picture of your family. She didn't know you had a large family.Signed cousin Nancy